Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Texas Traditions- What The MUM?

Having 2 teenagers in High School is strange enough, but having them in Texas has been quite the education- for me. My crafting skills have been tested in ways I never imagined.

Football practice started this week, which means it's time to start thinking about "The Mum". For those of you living outside of the state I am sure this is a new one like it was for me. Actually, having lived in Utah for 8 years, I can't believe they have not adopted this one!

It's the homecoming mum, and it has come a long way since the corsage days. Evidentally there used to be a real chrysanthemum flower given by a boy to his date with a few ribbons on them. Today, they are huge Gypsy-like silk chrysanthemums decorated with ribbons, stuffed animals, bells, and any kind of "Texas bling" you can think of. Even LED lights! There are special braids as well. It is not good enough to just hang ribbons. No, you must also braid them in intrecate fashion. My son will not be spending the hundreds of dollars that some boys spend. That's where I come in...

 This is the mum given to my daughter last year by her date...


And this is the start of this year's mum for my son's date. This would be the Military Braid. Notice that it is customized with my son's Offensive position... Nothing but the best from this Mom.



There will definitely be more to come on this subject. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment